NorTech has developed a series of advanced energy roadmaps to accelerate job growth and regional economic impact in Northeast Ohio's advanced energy industry over the next seven years. The smart grid roadmap provides a detailed vision and action plan to achieve growth in this sector by focusing on Northeast Ohio's core assets, markets, strengths and competitive advantage. NorTech is working with its partners in the advanced energy cluster and the region's economic development ecosystem to implement the smart grid action plan.
|Aclara||Novar||Intwine Energy Networks, LLC|
|Emerson Power||Rockwell Automation|
|FirstEnergy Corp.||Case Western Reserve University|
|These 6 NEO organizations in these 2 segments accounted for approximately 220 employees and $49 million in revenue in 2009.|
|Energy Management Systems And Services
Vision: To be a U.S. market leader in energy management solutions to industries, commercial enterprises, and homes.
|Devices, software, systems and accompanying services that enable monitoring, controlling, and optimizing of distributed resources and loads in a residential, commercial or industrial facility.|
|Smart Meter Software and Communications
Vision: To leverage the region’s strong smart grid technology presence as part of a broader energy management systems segment.
|Meters that provide two-way communication between the consumer and, the grid, providing real-time monitoring of energy usage. Northeast Ohio’s niche is the software and communications that make the meter “smart.”|
Regional Action Plan
Energy Management Systems and Services
- Establish the business case and define scope for 2 targeted pilot projects
- Integrate research community, energy management system provider, and utility to develop 2-way communication approach
- Prove-out residential-scale energy management solutions for large-scale residential setting to demonstrate reduced energy consumption
- Actively seek grant funding to establish the business case and develop additional pilots
- Link energy management players across the region who currently serve the different customer segments: residential, commercial and industrial
- Create forum to share information about smart grid pilot projects launched around the region and advocate the success of NEO’s pilots and the regional technologies being deployed
Smart Meter Software and Communications
- Integrate NEO smart meter software and communication technology with proposed energy management pilots to drive consumer awareness, establish a business case, and showcase Wi-Fi communications.
To learn more about smart grid. visit the following resources: