A cluster roadmap answers the questions “Where do we want to be and how do we get there?” The roadmap provides strategies and action plans to best achieve a vision of the future shared by a critical mass of cluster members. The strategies and action plans are developed according to the unique strengths of the cluster and region as compared to a global market opportunity.
NorTech engages cluster members to create roadmaps, which address a high-potential sector(s) within each cluster. NorTech’s roadmapping process consists of several phases, which include:
- Identifying cluster members, sectors and SWOT analysis
Create profiles of organizations in each cluster in order to identify high potential sectors. A SWOT analysis of each sector will identify its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Researching global markets to assess competition
Market research focused on each target sector will clarify its potential to compete for funding and customers regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Creating a shared vision and measurable objectives
Based on the SWOT analysis and market research, cluster members create a shared vision for the cluster with objectives to measure progress.
- Defining strategies and action plans to achieve the shared vision
Strategies and action plans will be created to address five areas key to cluster development:
(1) Increasing intra and inter cluster collaboration
(2) Identifying, evaluating and pursuing public/private funding
(3) Expanding and integrating the supply chain
(4) Educating, training and recruiting talent
(5) Stimulating market demand
- Specifying methods to measure, track and report progress
As part of the roadmap process, cluster members determine how cluster performance and outcomes will be monitored and communicated.
The execution of the five phases will provide a comprehensive roadmap document that will guide the activities of the cluster. By monitoring cluster metrics and the external factors that influence cluster growth, NorTech to continually optimize strategies and action plans to best compete for public/private funding and global market opportunities.